In the early Premier League kickoff on Saturday, two in-form teams meet in the West Midlands, with Aston Villa hosting Newcastle United at Villa Park.
Newcastle United is third in the Premier League table, three points ahead of fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur, with a game in hand.
Meanwhile, Aston Villa has risen to sixth place, nine points behind Newcastle, despite having two games in hand on seventh-placed Brighton.
Aston Villa is coming off a 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest, with Ollie Watkins scoring his ninth goal in 11 league appearances.
Aston Villa and Newcastle will face off in the Aston Villa vs Newcastle of Premier League 2023 on 15th April 2023 at the Villa Park, Birmingham, England.
Know the Match Details
Competition: Aston Villa vs Newcastle, Premier League 2023
Date: Saturday, 15th April 2023
Kickoff: 5:00 PM (IST)
Venue: Villa Park, Birmingham, England
Almost everyone can be considered, as Aston Villa manager Unai Emery is only concerned about one player’s fitness from an otherwise fully-prepared squad. Matty Cash is out due to a calf injury.
Aston Villa Possible Starting Lineup:
Martínez (GK), Young, Moreno, Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Buendía, Luiz, Ramsey, Watkins & Bailey
Eddie Howe, the manager of Newcastle United, is dealing with a number of availability issues. Names like Matty Longstaff (Knee Injury), Allan Saint-Maximin (Hamstring Injury), Miguel Almirón (Thigh Problems), and Emil Krafth (Cruciate Ligament Rupture) will not be on the team sheet.
Newcastle Possible Starting Lineup:
Pope (GK), Trippier, Schär, Burn, Botman, Murphy, Willock, Guimarães, Longstaff, Joelinton & Isak
Aston Villa vs Newcastle Head-to-Head and Key Numbers
- Aston Villa has won all six of their Premier League meetings with Newcastle.
- Over 2.5 goals have been scored in five of Aston Villa’s last six Premier League home games.
- Looking back at their previous meetings, which date back to June 24, 2020, there has been little to separate the clubs, with Aston Villa winning two of those games, Newcastle United winning two, and two being drawn in normal time.
- During the course of those matches, they scored a total of 13 goals, with The Villans scoring six and The Magpies scoring seven. This results in an average of 2.17 goals per game.
- The previous league meeting between the two was on Premier League match day 14 on 29/10/2022, when Newcastle United defeated Aston Villa 4-0.
- Newcastle United had 60% possession and 20 shots on goal, with 7 of them on target. Callum Wilson (45′, 56′), Joelinton (59′), and Miguel Almirón (67′) all scored.
- Aston Villa had three shots on goal, none of which were on target.
- Paul Tierney was the official.
Statistics for Aston Villa and Newcastle
The post-Jack Grealish era at Aston Villa got off to a bad start last weekend when they were defeated by newly promoted Watford, but it’s far too early for Dean Smith to panic, and I expect them to bounce back with a win on Saturday.
The Villains were trailing Watford 3-0 at one point, but the Hornets had their fair share of luck at Vicarage Road. Having said that, Villa looked very loose defensively, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Newcastle created a decent number of chances on Saturday.
Steve Bruce’s Magpies had a frustrating afternoon themselves, losing 4-2 at home to West Ham despite taking the lead twice.
The Hammers ripped apart Newcastle in the second half, with a 15-minute spell resulting in three goals for the visitors and effectively ending Newcastle’s hopes of a first-day win to appease the home crowd.
The exciting Newcastle attack, led by Callum Wilson and supplemented by Allain Saint-skill Maximin’s and energy, was a pleasant surprise. They have now scored 12 goals in their last five Premier League games, and we expect them to score again at Villa Park.
- In ten of Aston Villa’s last 11 Premier League games, both teams have scored.
- Villa’s last three league victories have all been by 2-1 scores.
- Newcastle has scored 12 goals in their last five Premier League games.
Aston Villa vs Newcastle Prediction
Taking everything into account, Aston Villa may struggle to put a goal past this Newcastle United team, which we believe will have the upper hand.
As a result, we predict a close game with Newcastle United winning 0-1 after 90 minutes. Check out the odds at Cricbaba!
Watch out for an exciting game with Newcastle to win at the odds of 1.50.
Aston Villa vs Newcastle Key Player:
Joelinton – Newcastle’s Brazilian midfielder has transformed his career at St James’ Park, where he is now one of the first names on the team sheet.
Joelinton, in addition to being a ball-winning midfielder for Eddie Howe’s side, has started to chip in with a few goals this season, which could be crucial to the Magpies qualifying for the Champions League.
The Brazilian was brought in as a forward to help score and create goals, but he struggled to adjust to the Premier League. However, since moving into central midfield, Joelinton has evolved into a new player, one who could have a significant impact on the outcome this weekend.