The UEFA Champions League returns this week with another round of semi-final matches, beginning with Inter Milan’s clash with Stefano Pioli’s AC Milan on Wednesday at the San Siro.
Inter Milan and AC Milan will face off in the UEFA Champions League on 17th May 2023 at the San Siro Stadium, Milan, Italy.
Know the Match Details
Competition: Inter Milan vs AC Milan, UEFA Champions League
Date: Tuesday, 17th May 2023
Kickoff: 12:30 AM (IST)
Venue: San Siro Stadium, Milan, Italy
Inter coach Simone Inzaghi will recall players such as Lautaro Martinez, Denzel Dumfries, and Andre Onana against Milan after making a number of changes over the weekend to preserve his star players for Tuesday’s defining derby.
Federico Dimarco was retained for the win over Sassuolo because Robin Gosens had just returned to fitness following a dislocated shoulder, and the wing-back has assisted five goals from open play in the Champions League this season – more than any other player.
Only Milan Skriniar will be ruled out due to injury, though Joaquin Correa suffered a knock on Saturday and may be ruled out. In any case, the Argentine striker must make way for Martinez, and it remains to be seen whether Inzaghi will partner the latter with Edin Dzeko or Romelu Lukaku.
Inter Milan Possible Starting Lineup:
Onana; Darmian, Acerbi, Bastoni; Dumfries, Barella, Calhanoglu, Mkhitaryan, Dimarco; Martinez, Dzeko
Milan, meanwhile, are dealing with a potentially lengthy absence list, with Junior Messias, Rade Krunic, and Ismael Bennacer – whose season has now been ended by a knee injury – all missing the trip to La Spezia, joining star man Rafael Leao.
Because the Rossoneri’s chances of reaching the final may depend on Leao’s availability in midweek, he will be given every opportunity to recover; Alexis Saelemaekers will likely deputize if the Portugal forward fails a fitness test.
Divock Origi drops to the bench as Olivier Giroud returns to the starting lineup, while captain Davide Calabria replaces Pierre Kalulu at right back. Malick Thiaw is expected to replace Simon Kjaer in the defense to add more pace.
AC Milan Possible Starting Lineup:
Maignan; Calabria, Tomori, Thiaw, Hernandez; Tonali, Pobega; Diaz, Krunic, Saelemaekers; Giroud
Inter Milan vs AC Milan Head-to-Head and Key Numbers
- Inter Milan have a better record in the Derby della Madonnina, having won 88 of the 236 matches between the two teams, compared to AC Milan’s 79 victories.
- Inter Milan has defeated AC Milan three times this season in all competitions, and the last time they defeated the Rossoneri four times in a single season was in 1973-74.
- AC Milan have lost their last three matches against Inter Milan in all competitions, failing to score despite taking a total of 31 shots.
- Inter Milan are attempting to reach the UEFA Champions League final for the sixth time in their history, and for the first time since they did so under Jose Mourinho in 2010.
- AC Milan has only won one of their last 16 UEFA Champions League knockout matches as the away team.
Statistics for Inter Milan and AC Milan
In the first leg, Inter Milan defeated AC Milan 2-0. Inter Milan dominated the first leg, winning 2-0 thanks to goals from Edin Deko and Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Inter maintained their winning streak in Serie A with a 4-2 victory over Sassuolo, with Romelu Lukaku scoring a brace and Lautaro Martinez scoring twice, one of which was an own goal. Inter has won three of their four games against Milan and will look to finish the job in the second leg to reach their first UCL final in a decade.
AC Milan’s season is deteriorating, with only one win in their last five matches across all competitions. A 2-0 defeat to Spezia over the weekend will have further eroded their confidence, as they are now unlikely to finish in the top four in Serie A. Rafael Leao, the team’s star forward, was back in full training on Sunday and is expected to play in this game.
- The most common result of Inter Milan vs. AC Milan matches is 1-0. This is the outcome of 9 matches.
- Inter Milan has won 16 of the last 33 home matches against AC Milan, while AC Milan has won 10 of the last 33. Inter Milano leads with a goal difference of 53-47.
- Inter Milan has won 31 of the last 73 meetings, there have been 19 draws, and AC Milan has won 23 times. Inter Milano leads with a goal difference of 103-88.
- Inter Milan are on a seven-game winning streak.
Inter Milan vs AC Milan Prediction
AC Milan are currently in a slump and are in desperate need of an immediate resurgence. Rafael Leao has been impressive for the Rossoneri and will look to make a strong comeback this week.
Inter Milan can deliver a powerful punch on their day and have improved in recent weeks. The Nerazzurri are currently in better form and have the upper hand over their local rivals going into this game. Check out the odds at Cricbaba!
Watch out for an exciting game with Inter Milan to win at the odds of 2.15.
Inter Milan vs AC Milan Key Player:
Federico Dimarco – Dimarco, arguably one of the Nerazzurri’s more underappreciated players, has had a significant impact on their Champions League campaign in particular.
This season, the left wing-back has assisted five goals from open play, the most of any player. It is also the joint-highest number of goals scored by an Inter player in a single Champions League season since records began in 2003-04, with Samuel Eto’o in 2010-11 and Wesley Sneijder in 2009-10. In this tie, he’s a tempting 7/1 to break that record.
In 45 games this season, Dimarco has six goals and seven assists in all competitions, while only Antonio Candreva and Emanuele Valeri (both 33) have more successful open-play crosses in Serie A than his 32.